Finding Fun

What a dreadful day (Joel 1:15)
Well, my day was anything but dreadful. Caleb is following the school timetable at home. His lessons include Humanities, in which he make flags to show to the Grandparents every evening on Zoom, Social Activities, in which he plants something in the garden, and PE. For PE yesterday we had swimming. Now we don't have a swimming pool, surprise, surprise, but we do have a trampoline. For 18 months this wonder of the modern world has been left untouched in the garden, but, given a choice between a walk and a session on the trampoline, Caleb chose the easy option. And rediscovered an old joy.
When he was young we invented some trampoline games. 'Food' involves me chasing him around the trampoline on my knees, calling out a home made rhyme, "I like toes for breakfast, I like toes for tea, I like toes for supper, now bring those toes here to me". It's not going to win any prizes but never fails to produce squeals of laughter. And there's a second verse involving sausages. Then there's 'Push'. This used to involve Caleb being flung off the end of my feet so that he flew across the trampoline. Age for both of us has affected the length and height of the trajectory, so that it's more a shove than a push, but he still adores it. 'Spin' has been affected even more. It used to involve Caleb flying around at about knee height as I spun in the middle. Now I walk slowly round the edge of the mat, while he gently rotates on his back. Oh but I mustn't miss out 'Sausage roll door'. I have no real idea of the origin of this rhyme, but I must chant it aloud while rolling across the mat as he jumps over me. Occasionally we get it wrong and he lands, splat, on my side. This did not use to matter, but these days I come away with bruised arms and sore ribs. Nevertheless, no day with trampoline in it can ever be called dreadful.
This has got me thinking. Are there sources of joy that we once knew but have got lost? The simple pleasure of a bad novel. The smile of a loved one. The sight of the first flowers of spring. Old cartoons from our childhood (now on YouTube). The Lord's Prayer said quietly at night. So today I set a challenge: post yours. What simple joy has for you been lost and found? What little thing you once forgot now lights up your day? Comment below or post on the FaceBook feed. Pass them around by phone or email. In this dreadful day, look for simple joy.

Now that's what I call bouncing.

Comments

  1. I'm learning to enjoy the afternoon nap again! Just 10 or 15 minutes makes a big difference. Not as easy to pull off in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birdsong sounds even louder at the moment. I now seem to have time to sit and listen to it, because there isn't the rush to get other jobs done.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are in good company

Time for school

Under judgement