Get together

I will gather (Joel 3:2) 
Like all of you, I am poring over the details of government advice to try to make sense of what will happen next. The media are rightly doing the same and asking some difficult questions as a result. My personal favourite reply so far was Dominic Raab's suggestion that if you have to share a seat, sit alongside rather than opposite. It left me wondering if anyone had done the maths on it. Tell me if I'm wrong but sitting opposite on a bus, tube or train means you are about 4-6 feet away, whereas sitting alongside it's 1-2 feet. So is the virus better able to cross 6 feet directly or 2 feet at a ninety degree angle. I suspect enhanced waffle from Raab, but who knows, maybe he got advice.
More interesting to me is the advice on gathering. I am allowed to meet up with one other person outside, provided we stay 6 feet apart, but not to visit my parents even if we meet outside and stay 10 feet apart. His logic was that contact with family is likely to be more regular once permitted, though this again seems a bit spurious. If a couple are going out, as I think the phrase still is, and have been living apart, I'm pretty sure they are more likely to spend long hours than I with my parents. They, love me though they do, will probably have had enough of me after an hour or two, and certainly won't want to see me every day. And anyway, the last two times I heard someone from government give advice they got corrected almost immediately. Wednesday not tomorrow, Boris. One person not two. Oh, yes, and they can come by ferry from France without 2 weeks isolation because, well, they're French aren't they so that's okay. Again, seems spurious.
So what's the real issue here. Well, of course they are doing their best, so one has to be careful not to snipe from the sidelines too much, but I think it's the 'economy, stupid' as Carville is supposed to have said to Clinton's campaign managers. Somehow they need to get us back to work without causing an uncontrollable spike in cases. For me though the question is all social, so that's what I hear. When can we gather, I want to ask. When can we get together and show how much we care for one another? For our government it's all practical. How can we get people into employment and keep them there, they're telling us. How can we allow economic activity without social contact? So of course the messages are mixed. Meet but don't meet. Travel but don't travel. Even, stay at home and go out.
The last one is interesting. At the risk of sharing fake news, one study of studies has found a strong statistical link between vitamin D and resistance to the virus. The more the vitamin D the higher the chance of shrugging it off without any trouble. Now this may also be spurious. In the USA highway deaths between 1996 and 2000 correlated almost exactly with Mexican lemon imports. Correlation is not cause. But here there may well be a connection because vitamin D is a key factor in controlling immune response. So we're told to go out in the sun as much as possible. 
However, I don't think I'm alone in feeling an increasing need to gather. I know the need to be with others varies quite a lot with character, and some seem to only have limited need for company. I always thought I was one of them, but this enforced separation has taught me that I am not, which makes me suspicious that even those naturally comfortable being alone are beginning to get the urge to meet up with others. So what can we do. Well, stick to the guidelines as much as we can make sense of them, of course, but I for one am focussing on being grateful for those who are living with me. It has been a bit of a storm shoving the recently escaped students back into the household, but we seem to have got over it, and it is becoming a treat. If this hadn't happened then they would never have come back in this way. Every moment we have them here, now, is precious beyond counting and I intend to savour it. Provided they cease showering at 2 in the morning and stop stealing all the crisps, that is.

Spotted on a walk basking in the sun

Comments

  1. I, too, am missing the ability to 'gather'. I fear the decisions being made are based on economy rather than welfare. Get the youngest children back into school so their parents can go back to work. Never mind that social distancing is an impossibility. It's becoming farcical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you sneeze, the vapour you sneeze will travel up to 20ft..it's amazing really, so if you
    sit opposite, and the person opposite sneezes, you will bear the full brunt of the sneeze!
    Where as..if your sat next to that person, it should be much safer..! :(

    In my opinion..it far to early to release people out of Lockdown..I saw two tennis players on
    TV this morning..hitting the ball to each other, unable to pick the ball up by hand..no serving,
    and other silly rules..
    AND....Schools should remain shut..how can you ask 5yr olds to stay at 2 metres..kids of that
    age, run about, play and touch friends, can a teacher with a class of say 6, keep control, NO!

    With 4~5~600 people dying every day..the Lockdown should remain..it's playing with peoples
    and children's lives..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For what it's worth, I also tend to think it's too early to 'unlock' at this time.
      As we move from 'stay home' to something else, all the government Covid-19 guidelines will be open to debate i feel. And we'll all be able to think of examples that don't make sense. It's a loose, loose from a govt perspective.

      It's interesting to me that we seem happy to blame the politicians, as ultimately they are the decision makers - quite rightly. Yet, I think it would be wrong to assume that all the scientists agree on everything, because they won't - for starters, have you seen how many people are in S.A.G.E? They'll have differing views, but make a collective decision as one.

      looking ahead, we can also take a stab at the likely scenarios in the next 6,12,18 months or so.
      The politicians will debate - blame and points score as its' based on an adversarial system.
      The scientific world will - reflect, discuss, continue to analyse the research and learn from it. Because this is what they are used to doing. Scientists all over the world will openly learn from each other in a way that's collaborative. It's been great to see lots of collaboration in all sorts of ways during this pandemic and I would love to see that happen in our political world going forward. Hmmm?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are in good company

Time for school

Under judgement