Love remains

My inheritance, my people (Joel 3:2) 
I stayed up to watch Darkest Hour last night, in which Gary Oldman won his Oscar for portraying Winston Churchill. Like now, it is a warm day in May when Churchill is invited to be Prime Minister just as Europe is falling to the Nazi menace. As Winston and Clemmie discuss his invitation to go to the palace, she says, 'You've wanted this your entire adult life', to which he responds, 'No, since the nursery'. 
Then it struck me that the idea of a Churchill factor, the idea that without this particular man everything would have been different, could be turned around. Without Hitler, without the terrible war, Churchill's legacy would be minimal. The astonishing influence of one man on history relies as much on the fickle fortunes of events as it does on the one man. Churchill is promoted to Prime Minister in spite of the contempt of his own party because he was right about Hitler. If he had been wrong he would now be a footnote in our history books.
For us, so much of our sense of significance relies on the fortunes of historical accident. We appear important because we happen to have certain skills or opportunities others miss or are denied. For many this fickle nature of worldly value is very destructive. They look forward to the future and wonder if anyone will remember them, if anyone will value them. 
For God, his legacy is not events but people. It is the nations' attack on his people that matters, for his people are his inheritance. When Christ goes to the cross, it is not to create some great icon of history, or even to crack open the doors of death, though he does that too. It is found in his words on love, 'greatest love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends'. 
The inheritance of God is his people, his church. We often fail to realise how much we are worth, or value each other as God values every one of us, for we rarely see ourselves with God's eyes. We look back on our lives and think 'What have I done?'. Yet this question is empty, for our value is not in events. It is entirely in love. I am of eternal value because God loves me without finding fault, and my temporal value rests on a simple question: Whom have I loved? Or better maybe, To whom have I offered something of myself without finding fault or measuring up for failure? God's inheritance is his people. What is yours?

Looking up


Comments

  1. 'We are not worthy so much as to gather the crumbs from under your table....' This line always troubles me. We are worthy because God loves us, no matter what. Maybe the Anglican church wants us to feel unworthy as we wait for the dreadful day of judgement? I was quite hoping for a 'open arms' welcome.😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I always have an addendum in my head when I say that line i.e. my worth is not found in my efforts or activity but in God's love alone. Then it becomes a reminder of God's love not a rejection of my worth. Still, I think it's easy to feel judged not loved.

      Delete
  2. War! As we know is a terrible and evil thing..In the last war, the atrocities that were
    committed on both sides is beyond reproach..Yes! Both sides..More so on the German
    side we know..but the allies were no 'saints'..! :(.
    Men..and Women..are made to join a 'band' of other people, to form a so called army...
    There given cloths that match, so everyone looks the same, there given arms..You know
    the things that 'KILL' others..sent off to confront others in the same circumstance, and
    told to...'KILL' those others..who they don't know, never met before, and may never meet
    again..
    I'm telling it like it is..lets not dress it up..we ALL know the events of conflict..in books,
    films, documentaries..etc..I've just watch the repeats of the concentration camps in
    Poland/Germany..the photos, the people that died there...Have we learnt anything...NO!

    As l've said before..l was raised a Catholic..Church three times a week, twice on Sunday,
    l learnt my Bible, my Catechism, my first communion, confirmation..etc..
    As l grew older, l questioned some of the churches teaching, some l considered wrong..
    l adapted those teaching to suit me..so, things have worked out very well..so far..
    I tell it as it is, l don't lie, if l have anything to say, it's said up front, not behind anyone's
    back..I've gained respect..and to a Sicilian..that is very important..l was raised on that
    word..Respect, Honour, and Love..!

    And Yes! My inheritance is my family, my friends and my life...!
    And...
    "If you don't believe in miracles, perhaps, you've forgotten, you are one".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are in good company

Time for school

Under judgement