Under judgement

I will gather all the nations...to the valley of Jehoshaphat (Joel 3:2) 
In my early days of Christian ministry I was given some sage advice. I was smarting under the yoke of unjust criticism and a friend pointed me to Dick Lucas' Three Es of Criticism: expect it, examine it, endure it. It's funny. I think I've got reasonably adept at examining even the most absurd attacks and finding useful sources for self-examination and inspiration. And I am always hurt by criticism, unfair or not, but have many resources for speeding its departure. No, the one that still catches me out is its unpredictable appearance. Just when you really think you're on top of things and making a decent job in a difficult situation, there it is. Lighting out of a clear sky.
I suspect most people feel like this about the judgement of God. I've lived a decent life, been fair in my dealings, kind to my neighbours and a good husband and father, or wife and mother. And then I'm meant to believe that God judges me. I know I'm not perfect but who is? 
Now I'm not suggesting that the people called to the valley of Jehospaphat are in this category. It sounds from Joel's description that they thoroughly deserve being called to judgement by God. But we are told that God judges us all. In that lovely phrase of Gandhi's 'I find we're all such sinners I leave the judging up to God'. He examines us and finds us wanting.
Or does he?
I've never been sure it's quite as simple as that. In the final judgement I get it. Christ writes the names of his own in the book of life and they get a free pass, so to speak. All the rest we leave in the infallible hands of the living, loving, infallible God. But in the interim, God's judgement has a different direction. He turns his face on us so we may see ourselves as we really are. Not nice neighbour and decent bloke, but hardened to his love and angry at his interference. Our positive facade is too often a front for doing it my way and relegating the ruler of the universe to the sidelines. He longs for us to come to him and find life and hope and joy, but we won't.
So if you feel judged today then take Dick's advice. Examine it to see what your next step might be. And if you feel judgemental, remember that it always hurts. It doesn't matter how justified you feel, we have a duty to deal gently with each other and no right to expect others to listen when we are unkind. 

A sown field in the sunshine

Comments

  1. This is an area that always confuses me. Jesus took away our sins so that we might be saved. We don't have to earn salvation - we get it for free because we believe in Him. But...... we will be judged for the life we have led. Seems contradictory. I am sure you will clarify my confusion, George.😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judge is an intriguing word. In the OT it's used about fairness and reparation, justice for oppressed people, usually the poor. In the Gospels, Jesus tends to use it about to describe a judgemental attitude to others (John 8). In the letters, it seem to be used as shorthand for a human assessment of worth, again usually with negative connotations (Romans 1). Only in Revelation, a book of vibrant imagery not representational theology, is it used to describe some final condemnation of the wicked. So I think it is right to say we will be held to account for our treatment of others and, in the same breath, welcomed home as a friend of Jesus. "Come in friend, how did you get on? I know, all fall short, but my gift is for you. All that is past, come on through and enjoy the very best of company"

      Delete
  2. I found this quite profound..quite deep in fact..I've read three times now! And..that old
    five word saying came to mind.."It's a funny old life'..
    We've ALL..All of us have trod a different path in our lives, and, most have experienced
    'the good, the bad, and the ugly'..no reference to the 1968 film of the same name..!

    There are a lot of people, many of them followers of Jesus, who live in constant fear that
    God is out to get them. There is this idea in the Christian community that God is waiting
    around with his quiver of spiritual lightning bolts just waiting to fling them down at people
    to inflict them with all kinds of suffering because of their misdeeds...
    That’s a mind bending truth which drives religious people nuts...

    So..Let us remember...
    Each time a new Manifestation of God comes it is considered the Day of Judgement, Day
    of Resurrection, or 'the Last Hour' for the believers and unbelievers of the previous
    Manifestation of God...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! May l add this please...Just found it on a friends Blog post....Thankyou...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8TtOIMaKKA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are in good company

Time for school